Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Fresh Start: Starting at the Beginning

      I've decided to give myself a fresh start.  I feel in order to do that I need to start at the beginning: determine what has went wrong in the past, decide how I will do things differently, and most importantly I need to just let it all go.  I need to let go of feeling guilty for being overwhelmed with everything when we found out Lexton is Autistic.  Let go of feeling guilty about falling behind, and let go of wanting a perfection that doesn't exist.

      My problem in the past is that I create half a plan, then jump in headfirst to get as far into that plan as I can.  Then come to a crashing stop when I realize I took on way more than I could handle all at once.  So this time, I'm starting fresh.  I'm going to develop an entirely new plan.  And really thinking about the goals I want to set to be sure they're realistic.
   
      Does anybody honestly dust everything in their house once a week?  I'm talking every knick knack, every picture, the baseboards, trim the whole nine yards?  If you do, please take a moment to pat yourself on the back!  Because although before I gave myself this fresh start, I thought it should be done.  I don't know why, but I did.  But sitting here right now, I can honestly tell you, it is NOT going to happen around here.  It's just not possible.

      So that's where I'm at, setting goals that I know I can achieve, and making a list of ideas to reach them.  I know I need a schedule, with a prioritized list.  So I'm starting there.

      Do you have a homemaking schedule?  How do you stay organized?

6 comments:

  1. I sometimes, not always do things, when I can't "take it anymore!" However, it depends. With vacuuming which I do not like, especially during the summer when it's hot and/or I'm outside a lot, I rarely do so. It's been MONTHS! And I don't have a partner or kids ...(may possibly post my draft blog about that tomorrow!) So be gentle with yourself. It doesn't matter what others do. It matters what YOU can do and what feels right for YOU! Hope that helps. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your support. I know now that I shouldn't try to base my goals off what others accomplish. I think as a homemaker that may be a common mistake. Without having a "boss" to tell you what you should get done, you try to take on the whole world. I'm very bad for that. I'll make a todo list for the day and it'll be a front and back sheet of notebook paper.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your fresh start. Learning from past mistakes is definitely important to avoid getting stuck at the same point again. Don't feel guilty about not meeting your own expectations in the past. You may have made them so high that you were setting yourself up to fail. And perfection is in the eye of the beholder. Don't worry about what others think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I was doing. I've been known to set myself up for failure and take on too much. I do it to myself regularly. But now I'm trying hard to really thinking about how reasonable my goals are, and setting short term goals more than long term to keep myself feeling more accomplished. Rather than: Sweep entire downstairs, it now says each individual room separately. I'm getting there, a little at a time. It seems like the more I blog, the more I learn about myself.

      Delete
  3. I think that it is very healthy to take a step back, to breathe and begin again. Good luck and don't feel guilty about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm learning to reflect on things as I go, instead of looking at what I didn't get done, now I try to focus on the things I did accomplish. Thank you for your support!

      Delete