Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Proper To-Do List

      Today's post is about forming a proper to-do list.  This is something I personally struggle with.  I try to aim for Martha Stewart perfection, and that's just not fair to myself.  And then in turn I'm very hard on myself when I don't meet these crazy goals.  So now I've decided in my fresh start I'm going to create my own version of perfection.

      I'm still branching out from my previous systems.  Today I spent some time working on a room by room task list.  I used my copy of Sidetracked Home Executives to make sure I didn't miss anything.  But decided not to list how often they should be done.  Deciding how often something should be done should be a process.  There are things you know your family needs done everyday.  So you should start with listing all your daily tasks.  Then decide how long they will take you and how long you are willing to work on these things on a given day.  Then you'll want to figure out when you'll get the rest of the tasks done (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually).  I plan to keep FlyLady's idea of a weekly home blessing, so that I can spend a few hours on one day instead of several.
      When doing this, if your really want your plan to work for you, you have to leave time for life.  You have to have time to take care of yourself and your family and just be with them.  Because deep down, that is what's most important.

      How do you keep track of what needs done?  Do you ever over-book yourself?

9 comments:

  1. I generally have a written to-do list: old-fashioned and simple but it works. Sometimes technology can be a pain if/when it doesn't work! ;) I prioritize based on what needs to be done first and foremost etc. and follow intuition. Hopefully that suffices! Most days I work on what needs to be done (tasks/errands) first, and then fun after, and some days it's the other way around! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lists! I make them for everything lol. My only problem is they're always way longer than they should be. I try to prioritize but still end up running from task to task... You know the drill, oh this goes in the kitchen- takes to kitchen oh look that goes upstairs... I end up running around without really having much to show for it.

      Delete
  2. I tend to create my to-do list for the day the night before. While I try to plan for the week, things happen or don't happen! It stops me overbooking myself if I plan the night before. I hope your plan works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creating my list the night before is one of the things I'm trying to work on right now! I've been pretty good about at least getting them started, knowing there will inevitably be more I want to add later. But in doing so I have done much better with keeping track of the important things that aren't a part of our everyday routine.

      Delete
  3. Love your post

    Not quite sure what Martha Stewart perfection is but am looking forward to learning more

    Have a new app I am using on my iphone and ipad which is helping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I made Martha Stewart Perfection up, because while nobody's house is perfect, everyone believes hers is. My goal now, is to define my own perfection... Even if it means I go to bed with a couple dishes left on the stove to wash in the morning.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of doing a room a day. Then locking myself in it so that I can appreciate it for a few hours before the kids and hubby mess it up again. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to deep clean one room a day. The key word is try. Some days go better than others. And I totally know exactly what you mean... Usually by the time I'm done deep cleaning the room of the day my boys have terrorized every other room in the house :) You gotta love them lol

      Delete
  5. Chronic over scheduler here. lol Wow, it seems like we're on the same wavelength right now with our planning and organizing. We may be tackling different areas, but I see a lot of similarities.

    ReplyDelete